Friday 18 October 2013

{ My List of Top World Festivals in November }

I am so happy today! My Brother reached home this morning @5.30 am on17th Oct’13. He is visiting from Germany after around 2 years. At around 5am, I woke up thinking that I am dreaming about his arrival. I am so happy right now that my words just can’t explain the excitement.

I was with him last year around same time for October fest in Germany; we later went road tripping all around Spain. Ah! What a wonderful trip it was. I should maybe write a post about it.

So the deal is, he is here and our happiness knows no bounds right now. These are the special times because we will be celebrating Diwali together after n number of years. What further adds mountains of excitement to our happiness is the wedding of our baby cousin. It’s going to be a fabulous festive couple of months that I am dearly looking forward to.

So this blog post is dedicated to Diwali, the most relished festival in my family, along with the other world festivals happening all around world. Some of the most amazing world festivals are lined up in November and December and I would be on top of the world, if only, I could visit these just once in my life with my entire family.

1. Diwali in November { Celebrated all across India }: My list cannot be complete and has to start with Diwali. Diwali is incomplete without family and some extremely dear friends. It’s just the cheer brought around by everyone’s presence that makes it so special. Diwali for me is all smiles, good food, great times and good luck. It’s this festival that makes me feel 'Oh SO FREAKING' blessed. I am not a big of a fan of crackers (for the concern for environment, child labor issues etc.), but the bright, colorful lights, Rangoli, diyas that I always end up buying in bulk, candles of all kinds, fat, tall, floral, floating and sweets (cartons of them, literally} get all my love on Diwali. To all who wish to and already do celebrate Diwali, I wish you a very Happy and Blessed Diwali!

Diwali, India, Rakshita Kapoor
Diwali, India
Image courtesy: Pinterest
India during Diwali
India during Diwali
Image courtesy: Pinterest

2. Seoul and Chaing Mai lantern festival held in November { Chaing Mai, Thailand }: I really want to go for Chaing Mai lantern and flower festival this year. I do have all the right reasons to go for this trip, as one of my old friends is planning a trip along with his MBA classmates. A four day trip, I badly wish to go for, but just can’t because of the leaves constraint at my 10am – 7pm job which btw, will pay for my Dec’13 travel (so excited for it, already). Here are the pictures that show, just how beautiful the lantern festival in Chaing Mai is.

Cool Factor: People write their wishes on the fire lanterns and release them into the sky believing these will come true. I hope they do come true. J

Image courtesy: Pinterest
Lantern Festival, Chaing Mai, Thailand
Lantern Festival, Chaing Mai, Thailand

3. Rann Utsav Kutch in November { Gujarat, India }: Everyone has heard of Pushkar Camel Festival held every year in November. I recently got to know about Rann Utsav that is held in the desert of Kutch, Gujarat around the same time. I was told that everything looks white in middle of the desert during this festival. But what won my heart, are the pictures (see below) with a full moon view. Rann Utsav is held admist a wild life sanctuary and stands for all that Gujarat is; the authentic Gujarati essence, Dandiya, the traditional Guajarati dance, camel safari, rich handicrafts, art and artifacts and Gujarati food esp. the Gujarati thali. It’s held in November in Kutch, you can check out more details here. If you’ve ever visited it, please do share your experience.  

Image courtesy: Pinterest
Rann Utsav Kutch in November, Gujarat, India
Rann Utsav Kutch in November, Gujarat, India 
4: Thanksgiving { New York, USA }: Not that I enjoy it a lot (in terms of celebration quotient), fire crackers are good, but doesn’t compare to the fireworks during Diwali in the city of Delhi. It’s the Thanksgiving sale that drives everyone including me, absolutely insane. It gets me drooling, drooling with my mouth wide open, with my jaw dropped so low that it touches the floor. Buy! Buy! Buy! For the entire family, for brothers, for sisters, for cousins, aunts, friends and everybody you can accommodate in your small pocket with meager income. I want as PS or X-Box this Thanksgiving, with tons of awesome games to go with it.

Apparently, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in New York every year is quite a rage. I saw some of its pictures that left me impressed. Below, I have shared a collection of few vintage pictures of the parade with GIANT character shaped balloons that are paraded all around the New York City. 

Didn’t get a chance to visit New York during my 2 and a half year long stint in USA, so this particular parade goes to my, Must Visit Festivals list.

Image courtesy: Pinterest
Vintage Images of Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade
Vintage Images of Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade 

5. Junkanoo, Nassau on December 26 & January 1 { Bahamas }: This list cannot be complete without a festival in the tropics.

Leaving all the celebrations in the chilling weather behind, let’s go to BAHAMAS baby! The visual of saturated colors, turquoise blue beaches, dance, music and celebrations, is already getting me in the groove. Below are some pictures from Pinterest that will leave you craving and wanting more of these street festivities, elaborate costumes and just the tropical vibe in December to bring in the New Year. Awesome!

Image courtesy: Pinterest
Junkanoo Festival, Nassau, Bahamas 

I would love to know which one is your favorite festival. Which will be your pick for a near future?  

Until the next trip
- Rakshita

Also, check out GypsyFly Blog for travel reads from fellow Gypsies. 

Follow me on Twitter | Pinterest |Facebook | Google+ |GypsyFly

No comments:

Post a Comment